Anchor is the result of an outgrowth of a number of companies, each of which made its mark in its own particular field. Its history is one of uniting by mergers of companies organized as far back as 1873.
1863 Pancoast and Craven begins manufacturing bottles and home canning jars.
1873 Swindell Brothers, Inc. begins in Baltimore, Maryland.
1880 Pancoast and Craven becomes Craven Brothers.
1889 Carr-Lowrey Glass company begins in Baltimore, Maryland.
1895 Craven Brothers is transferred to Salem Glass Works.
1898 Carr-Lowrey Glass Company is consumed by fire.
1904 Sure Seal Company organized.
1905 The Hocking Glass Company is founded by I.J. Collins and E.B. Good, in Lancaster, Ohio.
1906 American Metal Cap Company organized in Brooklyn, N.Y.
1908 Lancaster Glass Company organized in Lancaster, Ohio.
1912 Paragon Can and Cap Company, Inc. organized.
1913 Anchor Cap and Closure Corporation organized.
1913 Sure Seal Company was acquired by Anchor Cap and Closure.
1913 Anchor Cap and Closure of Canada Limited organized.
1915 First Hartford feeder and bottle machine installed in Salem Glass Works.
1917 Ornamental Decorating Corporation organized.
1918 Capstan Glass Company is acquired by Monitor Securities Corporation.
1918 Star Seal and Closure Company is acquired by Anchor Cap and Closure.
1918 Pilgrim Auto Supply Corporation organized.
1919 Pilot Process Equipment Corporation organized.
1919 Keelson Realty Company organized.
1920 Automatic Screw Capping Corporation organized.
1921 Woodbury Glass Company acquired by Turner Glass Company.
1921 Keelson Realty Company (land) is acquired by Anchor Cap and Closure.
1921 Buildings and equipment of the Hudson Company acquired by Anchor Cap and Closure.
1922 Beacon Machinery Corporation organized.
1922 Star Seal and Closure Company dissolved.
1923 First I.S. machine installed in Salem Glass Works.
1924 Plant No. 1 of The Hocking Glass Company destroyed by fire.
1924 Lancaster Glass Company partially acquired by The Hocking Glass Company.
1924 The Standard Glass Manufacturing Company organized and is partially acquired by the Hocking Glass Company.
1924 Plant No. 1 of The Hocking Glass Company rebuilt and placed in operation.
1925 Ornamental Decorating Corporation is acquired by the Anchor Cap and Closure Corp.
1925 Pilot Process Equipment Corporation is acquired by Anchor Cap and Closure Corp.
1927 Original Tropical Glass and Box Company organized.
1927 Hocking Glass Sales Corporation organized.
1928 Monitor Securities Corporation is acquired by Anchor Cap and Closure Corp.
1929 American Metal Cap Company acquired by Anchor Cap and Closure Corp.
1929 Automatic Screw Capping Corporation is acquired by Anchor Cap and Closure Corp.
1929 American Metal Cap Company is Acquired by Anchor Cap and Closure Corp.
1929 Paragon Can and Cap Company, Inc. is acquired by Anchor Cap and Closure Corp.
1931 General Glass Corporation is organized and partially acquired by The Hocking Glass Company.
1931 Turner Glass Company (Terre Haute and Winchester, Indiana) is acquired by General Glass Corporation.
1932 Swindell Brother, Inc. organized.
1932 Pilgrim Auto Supply Corporation is acquired by Anchor Cap and Closure Corp.
1932 The remainder of Lancaster Glass Company is acquired by The Hocking Glass Company.
1933 Sure Seal Company dissolved.
1934 Anchor-Capstan Corporation organizes as a subsidiary of Anchor Cap and Closure Corp.
1934 Cap patented owned by F.L. Darling (Haylard Cap) are acquired by Anchor Cap and Closure Corporation.
1934 Salem Glass Works acquired by Anchor Cap and Closure Corp.
1935 The remainder of General Glass Corp is acquired by The Hocking Glass Company.
1937 A consolidation brought together the Anchor Cap Corporation and The Hocking Glass Company, comprising at the time of the merger nine manufacturing plants, two nation-wide sales organizations and a most diversified line of products.
1937 Anchor Cap Corp. and The Hocking Glass Company transferred to Anchor Hocking Glass Corporation and reorganized.
1937 Capstan Glass Company name changed to Anchor Hocking Glass Corp. of PA.
1938 Hocking Glass Sales is acquired by Anchor Hocking Glass Corp.
1938 Beacon Machinery Corp is acquired by Anchor Hocking Glass Corp.
1938 Salem Glass Works is acquired by Anchor Hocking Glass Corp.
1940 The Standard Glass Manufacturing Company becomes a wholly owned subsidiary of Anchor Hocking Glass Corp.
1944 Carr-Lowrey Glass Company becomes a wholly owned subsidiary of Anchor Hocking Glass Corp.
1954 Tropical Glass & Box Company organized by Anchor Hocking Glass Corp.
1962 Swindell Brothers, Inc. plant in Baltimore, MD was sold.
1963 International Division of Anchor Hocking Glass Corp was organized.
1968 Moved full-force into the plastic market with the acquisition of Plastic, Inc., of St. Paul, MN.
1969 Moldcraft Inc., of Baltimore, MD, became a subsidiary of Anchor Hocking.
1969 The work “Glass” was deleted from the Corporation’s name, the company had made an evolution into an organization that was no longer just a “glass” company.
1970 Anchor Hocking acquires Phoenix Glass Company, of Monaca, Pennsylvania.
1973 Anchor Hocking acquires The Taylor, Smith & Taylor Company, a well recognized pottery located in Chester, West Virginia.
1978 The Phoenix Glass Company is destroyed by fire
1983 Anchor Glass Container Corporation is divested
1987 Company was acquired by Newell
2004 Anchor was purchased by Global Home Products
2007 Monomoy Capital Partners acquired Anchor Hocking
2007 Anchor acquired Indiana Glass Company and E.O. Brody Company
2008 Indiana Glass Company is consolidated into Anchor Hocking’s operations
2008 E.O. Brody was sold to Syndicate Sales
2008 Anchor acquired certain assets of Alco Consumer Products, Inc. Alco has been integrated into Anchor and renamed Anchor Home Collection
2009 Anchor obtained North American distribution rights for Walther Glas serveware/stemware and Stölzle stemware and barware for the Retail and Foodservice markets
Anchor Hocking began in Lancaster, Ohio, in 1905 making lamp chimneys from glass. It has now grown to a diversified manufacturer and importer of consumer and industrial products.