Baking with kids is the perfect time to teach the basics of food safety. Follow these 6 Simple Baking Food Safety Steps from The Home Baking Association:
1. STORE raw flour, baking mixes, dough, and eggs separately from ready-to-eat foods.
2. BEFORE BAKING, tie back long hair, clean counters, assemble ingredients and equipment, wash hands, and apron-up.
3. KEEP SEPARATE the measuring, mixing, and handling of unbaked batter or dough from cooling, serving, and packaging of baked products.
4. TEST baked products with wooden toothpick or cake tester and food thermometer at center to ensure products are completely baked.
5. CLEAN TOOLS, work surfaces, and equipment with hot, soapy water or in dishwasher.
6. WASH HANDS before you taste, serve, or package baked goods.
For more tips on baking with your children visit homebaking.org.